MTRNICA is creating waves in the UK music scene this year. We’ve had his latest track “Ransom” in our Spotify playlist for a few weeks now. The one where he calls himself the best in the UK.
But who is MTRNICA? We decided it was time to find out by asking him ten quick-fire questions…
How old are you?
- I’m 18.
Where are you from?
- I’m from Croydon, aka Gotham City. Word to Vue Croydon Grants. If you know you know.
What are three things you love?
- I love being underestimated and being the underdog. I know I’m one of the most talented artists out right now, and that I’m the best in the UK – all of which I can back up with the bodies of work I’m about to release. So that ounce of doubt, not being mentioned when you’re talking about the best, gives me the fuel to continue outworking the rest and creating greatness. I love going to the cinema too, hahaha!
What are three things you hate?
- That’s hard to say. I find it hard to channel any negative energy into anything specific. But if I had a gun to my head, it’d be; waiting, pretentious personalities, and Tottenham Hotspur.
If you weren’t doing music, what would you be doing instead?
- I used to play for Crystal Palace when I was younger. So I’d most likely be a professional footballer right now if it wasn’t for music.
How would you describe your music in one word?
Who makes up your team?
- I don’t really have a team. I run my own label – NGHTRDR. I produce, write and mix all of my own tracks. I design the artwork/merchandise and have a hand in editing my own videos now. However, I work with Casper consistently on the visuals. Harry Carter is my guy also. He’s super talented.
Which other UK artists (from outside your team) do you rate?
- Lancey Foux. We’ve got a crazy single I’m holding back on atm.
Who is your favourite artist of all time?
- Kanye West by far. I’m grateful to have met him more than once. I’m a big Daft Punk fan too, so whenever they link up it’s emotional.
What’s been the highlight of your music career so far?
- Releasing ‘On Revenge’. I was in a situation last year where I was told that I wouldn’t be shit and rapping on my beats would be a stupid idea. So, finally gaining the confidence to release my first track that I’m rapping on, with the subject matter being what it is on that track, and it getting the response it did, easily makes it my career highlight so far. The video is definitely the blueprint for a lot of artists in the UK right now. IF YOU KNOW YOU KNOW!
You can find MTRNICA on Spotify, Soundcloud, Instagram and Twitter.
And you need to check out his YouTube channel! You’ll find his music videos a breath of fresh air if, like us, you’re getting sick of the hundreds of virtually identical videos on GRM Daily recently.